Monday 7 October 2013

Starting out on BAAP

After the first week starting on the BAAP course, my mind has felt like it has been racing; a little overwhelmed by the reality that it has started, how to start my blog and the course work, trying to read the handbook and grasp all the information... and then all at once some spontaneous thoughts and ideas pop up.

I guess as a full time dancer in a company, dancing and rehearsing 6 hours a day with performances etc. the balance between work, studying and resting is learnt through the experience of it all. I hope to soon find a routine and way to work around planning my time for some studying and downtime.
Then again, one of the main subjects that stand out about this first module is reflection. I think to myself 'what a great way to relax!'

What I would like to achieve from this course is the evident aspect of obtaining a BA honours degree as it will open a lot of doors after my dancing career. I have always been fairly academic, but the vigorous classical training does not allow enough time to study fully on the side. I have not regretted one bit about making this choice because I just love what I do and am grateful for the training and 'ballet/dance' life I have had in preparation to becoming a professional. But what I appreciate more is this opportunity to study part time, and will make the most of it whilst fitting it in to my busy schedule ( what I have realized today how hectic it is!)
I am also looking forward to the skills learnt throughout this course, for e.g. blogging, connecting via web 2.0, applying theories/ideas into my professional practice and seeing how it will help me grow as an artist. Then of course the idea of contributing to the arts is a real bonus!

Thus writing down my thoughts and reflecting a bit about this course I find has helped me clear out a better path on how to continue!



2 comments:

  1. Gabrielle great to see you up and using your blog to connect, explain and reflect. Your earlier blogs are creating interest, like the links to your professional site (can you activate the link?) as it brings the richness of experience to what you are saying. I wrote a paper with Adesola about embodiment - an important concept to thinking in the arts. Here is an article I found,.,, http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2004/apr/22/guesteditors

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paula. Thank you very much for the comment. This article so fascinating, and so true!
    Dancing is a whole other language, a universal language in a way, that does not necessarily need to be explained by words because its audience can always interpret the dancers' communication from their bodily movements.
    The irony between a dancer portraying a certain role or motif/feeling but actually being their own self fully does actually make sense. When I dance, especially during a performance, it is like you are in a different world entirely where you can set yourself free, but you are somehow still one-hundred percent yourself and engulfed in the freedom of movement and expression.
    It is a great concept of thinking in arts in general. Thanks for this great read!

    ReplyDelete