Tuesday 8 October 2013

JSLN


Just Live Dance Company- Soren Niewelt 


I would love to share with you a little bit about JSLN!

At the beginning of August 2013 I started as a company member for Just Live Dance, which is a start up Dance Company in Singaporethat has also been founded this August.
It has a real ambition to share its passion of this great art form and integrate dance more into the community, as well as giving the best of quality of versatile dancing at an international level. It is a small company which promotes mainly local dancers, with two international artists, all who are unique in their own way of movement. That is why this company is different, and so versatile, where each dancer is contributing and sharing their style and learning from each other, to thus create one collaborative group of dancers and produce original, unique work.

As I have mentioned, JSLN came up when I least expected. When I was offered the job, I had another pending offer in Czech Republic, and so a tough decision had to be made. I weighed up the options on going to Europe in an established ballet/contemporary company with good repertoire, or going for something completely different from what I planned to begin with. But in the end I know I have made the right decision! Sometimes what the person feels deep inside is what they should initially go for and so I went for my ‘gut’ feeling. The opportunities I have been given so far would not match up to anywhere else!

We are guided and pushed in our dancing to grow as artists.The contemporary style has been especially challenging to adapt to for me as the others’ contemp background and technique is a lot stronger, but I have enjoyed every moment of this new learning process. We have been performing at art galleries, arts festivals, done some community work and workshops as well as performing in collaboration with a flamenco company. I have also been given the opportunity to teach ballet class in the evening sometimes
It is interesting too to learn about the process of starting up a company, and to be part of this whole experience is eye opening! It has been a tough journey, but exciting too and have learnt how much patience is needed to keep going. Even though it is only the beginning what the company has achieved so far is amazing. After two months we have already placed ourselves sponsorship to tour to China and perform in the Shenzhen Fringe festival, which will be in Late November.
Along the way I have met some of the most amazing people as colleagues, who have all been there for one another during these first few hard working but rewarding months. The company will keep growing from strength to strength with a great positivity and attitude to follow its dream.

I conclude with its motto ‘Movement creates Dance, Dance creates Movement.’

No comments:

Post a Comment