Friday 29 November 2013

Task 3A- Current Networks

Coming back from JSLN's tour to China, I must admit in some ways it is quite isolating (in a good way) without internet a certain banned sites. A great way to reflect and discover new ways of life, but it is nice to come back home to familiarity. This separation got me thinking how much of a necessity professional networking is in anyone's life who is working.

The current networks I use to engage in professional networking:

Facebook- One of the easiest and fastest ways to gain information from employers/colleagues and friends, receive and send messages, and get updated. For example the company I am in (JSLN) has their own Facebook page updating frequently on news, pictures, workshops and performances that is always useful to keep informed.

Gmail- I discovered this is the network that I use mostly for professional purposes. Ever since auditioning, it was the way to send off your C.V's and photos plus your application forms. It is the perfect way to communicate whilst keeping all information confidential and controlled. Now email is still useful for any timetables sent, company work updates and any important links. It is also a great way store important current and future contacts.

Blogging- Besides posting the tasks given that promote intriguing new ideas and topics, it is also a great way to reflect and relate these ideas to my work practice. Therefore creating my own blog has been one of the best methods in creating a professional networking platform!

Network Dance- A great site to promote emerging dancers looking for jobs in certain areas. This site has been very useful in the development of setting up my own C.V. and photos. It was especially helpful in knowing what auditions/ workshops are out there.

Linkedn- I have not used Linkedn too much, however i have made sure to set up a basic profile. I think it is a great way to network between possible future employers and colleagues, or to gain contacts for future purposes. It is a good way to update and hold your professional profile

Youtube- Always a good way to promote yourself as a dancer. When I was auditioning, or when applying for courses/ competitions, for confidential matters I always upload my video as unlisted so you can only view the video via the link. Right now JSLN are uploading some of their performances on youtube and via their website for promotional purposes.

What are the networks/tools other established practitioners use, especially those I admire:

There are many different companies and dancers/choreographers/ artists I follow for inspiration, including my own company I am in right now, and they all use different ways to network and promote their work to the public.

One way which seems to be huge is Twitter; something I do not use and cannot grasp the idea of! However its incentive is clear and proves to work well as all the postings are to the point and fast at reaching out. Obviously there are sites like Facebook and Instagram where there are pages to follow updates, photos and videos.

Websites are another great tool to have, and practically any company or industry will have one as most information and communication is gained via Web 2.0.Through my blog, google plus has been a great addition to have where you are able to view other postings by anyone you follow, connect with people via your different ‘circles’ and I like the fact that you are able to customize and personalize your own page. I like to keep it professional with not much information on, all mostly relating it to my dancing. I especially enjoy following health food blogs and any postings of new recipes.


Another great App that I enjoy as an extra bit of fun inspiration is Pinterest. There are many people, and even companies, who post different pictures that you can re-pin and categorise yourself into your own boards.

Methods/technologies/ approaches I use socially to help develop networking within my professional practice:

One word that comes to mind... connections! The familiar statement 'it's all about who you know' says it all. In the dance and arts world, talent is required of course, but what makes the difference about making it (besides luck) is having those contacts-it's all about who knows you too! Whether it is through using technologies such as mail, Facebook, phone calls, Linkedn etc., making those fundamental connections, keeping those contacts with those few acquaintances in the past often follows the idea of 'it's meant to be.' It might not mean getting the contract (if being specific) but you can always learn from them or from the opportunities that are offered and come your way. 

From my own experiences, this is one thing I have always been aware of. Take for example an encounter with Jean Paul Comelin. A former dancer with the Paris Opera, London Festival Ballet, Washington Ballet and Pennsylvania Ballet, he has worked with many great dancers and choreographed great works, plus taught internationally. When I was dancing with the South African Ballet Academy, we had the privilege to be taught by Mr. Comelin where we got to perform one of his pieces. Afterwards he asked some of us to keep in touch, and I made sure to do so. In the end I was able to retrieve a scholarship to participate in a summer intensive with him as the main teacher. The amount I learnt from him was priceless, and was a true inspiration to be taught by someone so rich in experience and knowledge.

There are many other social-related methods such as keeping good relationships with certain friends/ teachers and directors. With friends and colleagues, a fundamental professional relationship will always aid in each other to gain knowledge for present and future opportunities and development within their work practice. Choreographers might have friends in certain companies, know directors or teachers that have connections to aid in building up a substantial network. This is the same when dance companies collaborate with artists or musicians, or vise versa.
Agreeing with Eve Butterfly's post on task 3A, a great approach I find to sustain these relationships is to respect a person's own values, be honest and genuine, listen to what they say and see the best in each of their personalities to be able to learn and grow from both sides. Therefore a good sense of networking can be established.

I think other technologies such as Linkedn and Network Dance are great to keep in contact with your current employers, and future ones too. It is always important, as I said before, to get yourself known so whoever is interested can get to know you more.

One last method I would like to mention is through social media and advertising, as in any industry it is a great way of promoting themselves to gain the public's interest and build up important contacts. With experiencing a life as a dancer in a very new company, JSLN is constantly looking for ways to network in order to gain those important contacts within the arts industry (e.g stage managers, musicians, artists, theatre owners) and possible sponsors. They are using technologies such as their website, Facebook page, linkedn, Google +, a few newspaper and magazine articles. The methods used are inviting critiques, editors and certain important guests to our shows. They have also got flyers for upcoming shows, proposal letters for any project applications, promotional videos via youtube. Socializing and just spreading word around has been an extra additional approach for the company to setting up an ongoing professional network. 

What I think are the motives of others to be in current networks, what are their values and purposes:

Interest is probably the most desirable motive for someone to want to be included in a network. Within the performing arts and dance field, all practitioners have the desire to be hired by their company of best interest and perform the roles they want to do. Directors and choreographers may use certain networks to seek out possible employers, or contacts to bring up differnt projects and ideas. The whole idea of promoting yourself as an artist is a big factor to be able to network in this world, and as I said before, the more you get yourself known out there, the more people will know you. I guess this is the whole purpose for an individuals choice in what networks they want to be part of, whilst sticking to their values they hold for themselves.  

What would my ideal network look like and why, and what could I realistically do for its development: 

To me I like anything to look pleasing to the eye, otherwise it is not attractive where people can lose interest. Therefore I would always like to work on my profiles' look within the different sites I use, sticking to my own original style that best describes my personality. Certain networks such as Linkedn and Network Dance displays my experience in my work, which I would like to be displayed as very easy to read and set up in a practical, concise way. To make it as desirable as possible whilst sticking to my true self and not having any 'false images' displayed is my aim. 

In my profession a lot of it is all about the aesthetics, using the body as an instrument for your work. Therefore to progress in creating a good network for myself, I believe I need to just keep updating my different profiles I have, hold on to those important contacts and gain more from the experiences and opportunities I come across during my work. To keep my profile professional by not posting anything too personal is vital. Regarding ethical concerns via the web, you never know who is out there and anything posted is pretty much instant. 
Learning from others and getting inspiration from other dancers, friends, blogs etc. would help too.

What I do and don't know about my current and intended networks:

I know that they can help me and are supportive for my current profession, and for future job seeking.
I don't know specifically how my current and future networks will help me, but I do know that they will in someway. Often they work in unpredictable ways and may take you by surprise! 


    

2 comments:

  1. Hi Gabrielle

    In case you go to China again… you can download a VPN which allows you to access the whole internet and not just what they want you to be able to access. Not that this always works either! But if you do a lot of travelling its a useful tool to have - my friends are in America and used one to watch Downton Abbey on Christmas day!

    Take care

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Megan

    I am just reading back on some of my comments and came across this! Yes VPNs are very useful, and I find it might come in handy since I am travelling again being back in the U.K! Thanks for the reminder :)

    Gaby

    ReplyDelete