Sunday 17 November 2013

Development

What don't I understand, or do?

There are a few questions I always ask myself: Am I actually improving? Should I be working harder? What should I be doing/ practicing and how, in order to perfect as much as possible?

Figuring out about developing and improving is something that is vey hard to understand until you see the end product, or when you reach a goal. Asking these questions triggered a thought about JSLN's studio preview a few weeks back, where we all felt the growth as dancers and as a company together. 
Even though dancers never like watching themselves, what helped us be able to see the progress was with the useful tool- video and youtube! Videos are great ways and examples to help you understand what you look like from the audience point of view, as dancing and how it feels can always seem totally different! However, its main purpose for me is to be able to identify what needs to be improved within ourselves and for other aspects of the piece.
Here is an example of development, the finished piece of Jet Liang, which was used in my short clip for Task 1c- my thoughts about starting up on BAPP. 
Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Gaby,

    I love reading your blogs they assist me with my learning and keep reminding me to write with a purpose! Less means more ;)

    This blog is one that I can relate too. Although I am in the curriculum teaching field I feel that the questions you ask yourself are the same as mine.

    Not only have I recently started a new job but of course like all of us this degree is new too. It's very different to my previous studies! So I too and constantly thinking "am I doing this properly?"

    I totally agree with you that developing is hard to do without seeing a finish product which then enables you to reflect. I am currently reflecting on so many things that my minds playing over drive!!

    Recently I had an observation which was to help me improve my teaching skills. It was safe to say I was extremely nervous! I constantly doubt myself, however this has taught me about independent thinking and not relying on others to help me along. (I'm going to begin a blog on my experience and the things I faced so please feel free to comment)

    After the doubt of myself the feedback was great and I was told that I am on the right track to assisting my 1:1 but also allowing them independent thinking time so I'm not doing all of the work for them.

    It's funny how your questions are similar however your in a different line of work. That just shows that the development of anything leads to the same path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good ideas here for future inquiry topics - your company seems to be very progressive in its outlook. Feedback is always difficult - great to see development piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for the comments!
    I have recently discovered how much any field of work in the arts, even if only slightly related, has a connection where each industry contributes to the arts scene to operate fully.

    The fast paced development of JSLN has been tough to keep up with at times, but along the way I have had opportunities no other normal ballet company could offer. The exposure to the arts and its development, especially in such a new country, is eye opening.
    So yes Bethany I do agree with you how development of anything leads to the same path to be able to reach the outcome!

    ReplyDelete