Thursday 14 November 2013

Task 2d- Part 3


Today is the perfect day to write this, as taking from my journal- 'feeling of today... Man I love what I do!' 

Why do you love what you do, why do you dance?

This is one of the cases where the only answer I can quickly come up with is, ‘just because…’ A great example of tacit knowledge where it is difficult to exactly express in words exactly how I feel.

The first word that pops into my head is Passion! I guess it is something that has always stuck to me ever since I was a little kid, never wanting to take off my little pink skirt and let go of my fairy wand!
At the beginning I wasn’t as serious, but I recall always having to move to any type of music/ rhythm- I could not sit still!

I find it fascinating how we can explore movement in so may different ways, and the collaboration of expressing body movement with music to create an idea, thought, story or motif is a true art form. As a dancer, I like the sheer determination and athletic part of it too. Working towards endless goals, conastantly trying to improve and aim for perfection is something that keeps you goin and is in a way addictive. But when there is even a slight feeling of development from all that hard work, it is the most rewarding feeling on earth.

My favourite place in the whole wide world is the stage, and dancing in its space makes me feel free and in my dream world where I can let my sole fly!
Dancing just has to be part of my life. It's a passion inside of me that burns and without it, I would not feel whole- cheesy, but true!

Who do you admire who also seems to love this or is an example of what you love?

I really appreciate any dancer who has the guts to go for one of the toughest professions and lifestyles ever!

The turning pointe of my life was when I read an article about my first ballet idol, Angela Malan, a former ballet dancer of Joburg Ballet (South African Ballet Theatre) now ballet mistress. Every time I went to the ballet, we made sure that she was cast as the principle, every time coming back feeling inspired. She captured the audience with her amazing stage presence, with her clean lines, beautiful feet but most of all her way of movement that was just such a pleasure to watch. She had this aura of a true artist- expressing her love of dance!

Once in an article being asked why she chose to dance, she replied, "Because I could never think of doing anything else.” I turned to mom and said, “Mom, this is exactly how I feel!” From then on, I took ballet and other dance styles a lot more serious. But thanks to Angela Malan, one of my biggest inspirations, she helped me realize what I want to do in life… and I have never looked back!




Another example of a dancer who has inspired me to love what I do and keep working hard is the very famous and amazing Li Cunxin. His whole story is alone inspiring, but as a person, dancer, now director (Queensland Ballet), I have always looked up to him. My biggest pride and joy moment was in South Africa at an outreach program in the Township Alexandra, where the 'ballet friends' were invited to a talk by Li Cunxin. We got to meet his family, and I even got my book signed! One of my goals is to be taught by him, even just once, as it would be such a privilege!

1 comment:

  1. Great this is discipline/subject/sector specific research! Practitioners learn from other practitioners but also from sources that critique others work. It is useful to understand these expert practitioners using their own word (data). Has anyone critiqued their performances? Technique? Body of knowledge? communities or companies that they work with? Any academics? This is the context that can also inform thinking.

    ReplyDelete