Saturday 3 January 2015

Power of Yoga

 “Physiological benefits which follow help yoga practitioners become more resilient to stressful conditions and reduce a variety of important risk factors…” (Corliss, 2001)


Michalsen, 2005
Yoga’s anti-stress benefits are a host of bio-chemical responses- decreases catecholamine, which is a hormone that is released due to a response to stress, produced by the adrenal glands. Also our neurotransmitters let out dopamine and epinephrine that create a feeling of calm

Being resilient- turning every circumstance to your own advantage
-Accept change
-Perceive challenge as an opportunity
-Work with what you have got
 As a ballet dancer, you need to have resilience as a quality- yoga helps maintain a ‘chemical power of adversity”


There are various mindsets towards transformative action:
·      Tapas- intense effort or austerity
·      Svadhyaya- self study/inquiry
·      Ishvara pranidhana- surrender to the higher reality
*These are acknowledged at the root of suffering

The emotional benefits of yoga:
” …Changes an individual’s perspective about life.” and “One starts looking at things differently, with less confusion.” (Kempton, S. Aug 2007) 
Helps with:
·      Peace of mind
·      More keenness for life and work
·      Ever-growing sense of internal well-being
·      Clarifies the deepest motivations and aspirations which restores confidence and rational

*To overcome an obstacle, it would be presumed that clarification of self-identity helps to rise up a challenge. If someone is sure of themselves and have a purpose in life knowing their own values, they are considered emotionally strong. Having this strength could initially help deal with adversities, and yoga proves to produce this sense of clarity and open-mindedness, and assurance

Kempton, S. Aug 2008. Bouncing back: Yoga to Improve Emotional Health, Yoga Journal (online) Retrieved from: http://www.yogajournal.com/article/health/bouncing-back/


*Reflection on yoga
I have recently started taking yoga and after just one week, I felt it’s benefits in my dancing and my approach to certain situations in life. At first, I got quite a tight hip and back as I was pushing it all a bit too far to start with. This was because I had the mentality of trying to be better and keep on working hard and pushing.
However, through the practice of yoga, I have shortly learnt that I need to approach the practice with fully focusing on myself, and know everything I do is for my own benefit. It is your ‘me time.’ Dancers are so used to pushing their bodies to the extreme, where certain pain is acceptable. It comes form this idea of striving for perfection, and doing our best for others and the audience.
Yoga, on the other hand, focuses solely on you. It teaches you to listen to your body and be kind to it when pain is telling you to back off.
*e.g. I pushed myself too far in some stretches which hurt my hip. Instead of taking it easy and listen to my body, I didn’t listen and tried to push forward. I should have instead focused on rejuvenating my energies and feel the benefits.

From my own experience and observations, by focusing on yourself, you don’t have the pressure to be better, which might mean pushing yourself too far. I realised I should instead have the mindset of being the best I can be in that moment in time. This mindset allows me to focus on the present, enabling me to feel and experience what is happening fully rather than letting the mind dwell on the what ifs and worries of the past and future. This way receiving the full benefits of the experience.

Yoga helps:
Calm your mind and emotions
End up being more positive
Cleanses and gets rid of toxins in the body, rejuvenating its energies to feel refreshed
Teaches you to do what is best for you
-       This is a mindset dancers often don’t have as they are always so stressed about trying to be perfect, impressing others and worrying what others think
-       A dancer needs to acknowledge the fact that they do have to be professional and impress the directors by doing well. However dancing for them could possibly be a main contributing factor in succeeding and performing well.

From today’s Practice:
“Take peace and love from this practice, if nothing else.”

Practicing yoga and doing what is best for you- “helps you to heal”
-A good thought towards injuries

“Whatever worries you, acknowledge it and let it go”
Whatever you can’t be fully in control of, learn to accept it and let it go…you will then heal, and be able to do your best”



No comments:

Post a Comment