Saturday 21 December 2013

Task 3C- My sources of information

My sources of information


When I began to think about the methods in which I gain information from, I found it quite hard to distinguish/categorize which were the main sources I use. Retaining information, learning and experiencing happens most of the time either consciously or subconsciously.
Reading back on Emma's and Megan's blogs, they influenced me to start off with a mind map. This helped tremendously in clarifying the main sources I use within my professional work practice, in order to learn and grow. I realised how often I, and others, use these methods as well and so frequently!

Internet 

Youtube: Dance is a visual art in many ways, and to have it's attributes accessed to via the internet helps to gain information on what is out there. Most companies post videos on their works, upcoming productions and new choreographies (for choreographers). Video is also a great source to refer to when learning a certain repertoire/ choreography as well as obtaining different perspective from the eye of a 'viewer.' Learning from watching can be just as important as doing. It is perfect for inspiration as well, either for motivation, or choreography etc.

Google: The easiest way to retain information on just about anything. However the first link that pops up may not be the best source, therefore proper researching I think needs to be taken into consideration. Wikipedia is always 

Websites:
Dance Companies- a way to retain information on history/background of companies/ dancers/ choreographers etc. Another way to see what is out there.I frequently check http://www.justlivedance.com, to keep updated. Being part of it, I believe it is important to know about the company in detail .  

http://balletnews.co.uk- Can't put it in any other words than to say that Ballet News is awesome! It is a website/blog that posts the current news in dance around the world. It is all through posts on their main page, highlighting the top stories with links to more detailed articles. In addition they have posts (and some categories) of videos, photos, interviews with dancers and nutritionists. I find it is like the BBC of the ballet/dance world. A great way to keep updated, learn from different practitioners and what is going on.

Social Media

Facebook- Easiest, most effective way to post about present whereabouts and updates on what people/ certain artist groups/ dancers are doing. This is done via Facebook pages, e.g viewing current information on https://www.facebook.com/JuStLivedaNce, or Ballet News posts. Photos are instant messages as well as normal messaging. It is basically a fast way in retaining information, and connecting.

http://www.networkdance.com- Network Dance is such a useful website, but categorised it under social media for the fact that, even though similar to ballet news, as an individual you are able to be more active and interactive with others through the site. Setting up my own C.V and photos has helped me learn how to set up a base for my network platform. Videos and other links are available to be posted and seen by others too. When auditioning, it is a great site to help with this because they post most auditions up

Blogs-Being able to blog your thoughts plus view other blogs on the BAPP course has really helped me get through all the tasks. By interacting with one another, giving advice and gaining advice etc. has taught me more about the topics that is raised in each task. I find everyone has given inspiration and ideas on how to move forward in the first module, and I am looking forward to the next two to see what else there is to learn. Commenting and critically reflecting has been a huge helps in distinguishing what to improve and other points to think about (e.g Paula's comment on critical reflection on reflective practice)

Social Interactions

When there is a sound relationship formed between individuals, through their interactions it is pretty certain that knowledge is shared with one another: 
Colleagues and friends- give advice and opinions on current work, corrections, injuries, even what style of dance-wear suits each other. They are always there to help each other out and work as a team to create a good working atmosphere.
Teachers, directors and choreographers- via training and correcting, it is obvious that information is retained on how to improve. But teachers, and especially directors, not only correct but share their own experiences by passing them down on their students/dancers to help them develop. The teachers that have been more close to me have been my mentors, my guardian angels in guiding me towards my goals.
Artists and practitioners- gain information from their own perspectives and opinions. For example, I had a sports massage/ physio (Phil) who helped so much in maintaining healthy strong muscles giving advice on strengthening and healthy eating. His perspective on dancers' health and fitness was very interesting and different, where I learnt a lot of new information.

Experience

Taken from Task 2c,'... experience is needed in order to gain knowledge.' I believe it is one of the most powerful sources of information that really develops an individual in their work...and in their life.

I have learnt so much from performing in shows. Through the years stage presence was developed, how to carry on when something went wrong I learnt the hard way, professionalism and calming nerves I learnt especially from dancing with BRB and Northern Ballet, and now with JSLN.
Participating in workshops is always a great way to learn from other teachers and dancers. For example, I took part in the Prague International Ballet Masterclasses which is a huge ballet summer course held every year in Prague and directed by Daria Klimentova. Through her connections, she is able to bring in so many famous directors and dancers to teach throughout the two weeks. It was such an inspirational course learning from all these most amazing dancers who passed down their experiences directly to you- such a treat!
 

Written Work

Journal- Writing down what has happened, then reflecting on it helps to gain information on how to resolve certain situations or clarify certain experiences. To find meaning behind those experiences is the point where knowledge is gained. 

Dance Europe- Dance Europe is the most amazing magazine giving insight in the major dance news around the world. There are many dance articles, photos, advertisements on auditions and courses with interesting debates and issues that are discussed. It is such a great thing to absorb information from and travel into another world.



No comments:

Post a Comment