Friday 17 April 2015

Main Challenges and Themes

At the start with trial survey, informal discussions with fellow work colleagues and dancers as well as observing and reflecting myself, I have firstly picked up the main challenges we face as dancers and categorised them into themes:
  1. Perfectionism
  2. Motivation and Inspiration
  3. Rejection
  4. Injury
  5. Physicality
  6. Relationships
  7. Uncertainty and unstable, short lived career
Through the whole research process of different literature sources (blogs, mental health and motivational websites, academic articles, a dance book finding balance, magazine articles, a documentary series breaking pointe),
I have thus been able to pick up the main qualities that an emotionally healthy and resilient person acquires.
  1. Positive
  2. Knows how to accept change and what situations can or can't control
  3. Mindful and aware of their emotions
  4. Motivated and inspired
  5. Confident and strong, assertive
  6. Has strong healthy relationships
  7. Compassionate and empathetic

Having completed my interviews and in the midst of finishing my analysis, I have been in the process of linking what my participants have said to my research from my literature review. These themes and qualities have continued to carry out and shine through the whole inquiry process. I am proud to have gone this far into the topic, and I have definitely seen and created more of an awareness with the dancers around me and within myself so far. Everyday, travelling on the bus, or a few extra hours free here and there I actually really look forward to now because I am really enjoying how this project is slowly but surely coming together. One thing that has really helped me is to just take one step at a time, which I have learnt is an approach towards getting over an adversity or anything  challenging.

With the time limits I have had, I am surprised how much of a calmer approach I have towards it all. Maybe my research is resonating not just within my work practice but with my actual university work? 

If I sum up everything I have researched and discovered, one thing for sure is a lot of it comes down to personality in a dancer that distinguished whether they will cope or not. There is always a reason why one will dance, and it is that with their strong resilient attitude that is instilled in them from a young age, that helps them to survive the pressure and adversities they face. The ones who give up weren't designed to be resilient enough emotionally to go through with it all, like some of my participants have mentioned:

Dancer B: It is far too difficult to do this if you don’t enjoy it.
Dancer BH:  I think if you didn’t enjoy it then what’s the point? 
At the end of the day, dancers are naturally emotional people, but we are emotionally strong too! And it is our emotions that express this passion*

3 comments:

  1. Hi Gabrielle, I found this blog entry an interesting read, as I have been looking into both motivation and confidence myself, which you state as being qualities that an emotionally resilient person has. Aside from the literature which backs this up, did you discover any similar themes during your interview process? Are of any of these qualities 'observable' in the dancers around you and how do you think you would be able to spot any of these traits?

    Pip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pip
    Yes I discovered that the dancers I interviewed resonated with the notion of being confident. They found that it is hard to sometimes keep that confidence and positivity, however residing in a friend's support, or being self accepting they found would help. I did draw out from them that just dancing for yourself and accepting what you can't control will help boost one's mood and motivate them too. The dancers mentioned they are naturally inspired, which is the root of motivation, and they agreed it is quality that is necessary to keep on going on with this profession.
    I myself have been able to spot these traits too. For example, if we really want work on something, in class we will try help each other out to work towards that. I always find fouettes challenging, especially when my leg is a little tired, and I get scared! Some friends help me to calm down by reassuring that all is going to be fine. I tell myself that I just need to do my best. Practicing these affirmations and techniques always makes feel more confident too!

    ReplyDelete